Tully's royal links go back a century
The limestone lands at Tully have been associated with horse breeding since 1300, when war horses were bred for the Knights of Malta.
A Scottish colonel, Willie Hall-Walker, set up a stud farm on the land in 1900. Seven classic winners were bred at Tully between 1904 and 1914.
The links to the British monarchy -- Queen Elizabeth II's family -- began when Hall-Walker leased his horse Minoru to King Edward VII. He won the 1909 Derby with the horse, becoming the only monarch to lead in a Derby winner.
In 1916, Hall-Walker presented the stud to the British government. In 1943, the Irish government took over the land and the Irish National Stud was established in 1946.
Sun Chariot was foaled at Tully in 1939 and won the fillies Triple Crown for Queen Elizabeth II's father, King George VI, in 1942. The stud's facilities are used by breeders from Ireland, UK, France, Italy, Hong Kong, Australia, Japan, Germany, Switzerland and the US.