Sunday 15 September 2019

'True warrior' - Mob boss Kinahan breaks Twitter silence to heap praise on beaten boxer Conlan

Jamie Conlan (left) and Daniel Kinahan
Jamie Conlan (left) and Daniel Kinahan

Sean Nolan

Cartel boss Daniel Kinahan broke his Twitter silence today to shower praise on defeated boxer Jamie Conlan.

Conlan fights for the MTK promotion, the group formerly known as MGM that was co founded by Kinahan and former boxer Matthew Macklin.

Earlier this year Macklin, who has no involvement in crime, revealed that Kinahan was taking a step back in the business and earlier this month it was announced that an external management group had completed a buy out of MTK.

Conlan, who was fighting on the undercard of Carl Frampton's winning return to action in Belfast on Saturday night, suffered four knockdowns against Jerwin Ancajas before the referee eventually ended the bout for the IBF world super flyeweight crown.

Tweeting this morning, Kinahan said: "I respect a lot of people in life but I don't admire many, one man I admire and respect so much is @JamieConlan11 #truewarrior #rolemodel #friend"

Conlan, brother of Irish Olympic medallist Michael, neither of whom have any involvement in crime, was devastated by the defeat.

"Heartbroken about last night, really tough night at the office," wrote Conlan in a post on his official Twitter account.

"Ancajas was a quality operator. Real privilege to be involved in such a great night of boxing, atmosphere was special, very thankful for the support from everyone especially my family and team."

Ancajas silenced the hostile crowd in the SSE Arena with a wonderful display, which 31-year-old Conlan could not cope with.

He had a nightmare start, being forced to take a count midway through the first round, when he appeared to suffer a delayed reaction to a shot. As is his wont, Conlan picked up a cut on his left eyebrow in the second.

The bell saved Conlan in the third. He was down again after enduring a barrage of punches from Ancajas and the crowd cajoled him into getting up but the champion went for the kill and caught his opponent on the trap but the bell rescued the challenger.

Caught on the ropes in the fourth Conlan endured another barrage of punches but somehow survived and even landed a couple of his own before he was floored again by a body punch but he bravely got to his feet just as the bell rung.

Conlan had his best round in the fifth though he was caught by a low blow and Ancajas was deducted a point after the referee ruled that the blow which had Conlan on his knees was also low.

The fight finally finished early in the sixth round when Conlan was caught and felled with a looping right hand which landed on the back of Conlan's head. Referee Steve Gray allowed it and again Conlan beat the count but this time the referee decided the brave challenger had taken enough punishment and brought the contest to a halt.

In September, Kinahan used his Twitter account to laugh off reports that he would be arrested if he ever returned to Ireland.

It was reported that Kinahan may be detained and questioned if he returns to Ireland in relation to his gang's activities as part of the Hutch-Kinahan feud.

However, the gang leader dismissed this, saying he is being "set up" by gardai.

Taking to Twitter, Kinahan wrote: "Arrested? More like set up!!!

"Ha ha sorry our amazing Irish police system would never do anything wrong like that."

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News