| 4°C Dublin

‘Transparency is needed’ – RTÉ must outline reasons for dropping Andrew McGinley from Late Late Show, senator says

Close

Andrew McGinley with his three children

Andrew McGinley with his three children

Andrew McGinley with his three children

A Fine Gael senator has called on RTÉ to outline the reasons for dropping Andrew McGinley from The Late Late Show.

The grieving father was due to appear on the prime-time programme on October 8 to announce plans for a fundraising concert in memory of his three children.

However, just hours before the show was to air, he announced he would not be appearing.

Mr McGinley told the Irish Independent the State broadcaster informed him it had received a letter that said “it could be a painful and traumatic experience” to see him talking about Conor, Darragh and Carla on The Late Late Show.

In Focus: Andrew McGinley - 'There are flags raised and questions that we need answered'

Listen on Apple Podcasts Listen on Spotify

It had been hoped the high-profile slot would help raise funds for the As Darragh Did charity, which was established after the children’s deaths.

When contacted by the Irish Independent, RTÉ declined to comment on the circumstances behind the decision to drop Mr McGinley from the advertised line-up.

Yesterday, Senator Micheál Carrigy, Fine Gael’s media spokesperson in the Seanad, said there were questions that needed to be answered regarding the reasons behind RTÉ’s decision.

Daily Digest Newsletter

Get ahead of the day with the morning headlines at 7.30am and Fionnán Sheahan's exclusive take on the day's news every afternoon, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

“Is it standard practice for RTÉ to pull guests due to complaints received from the public?” he asked.

“How many complaints have they received in relation to other guests, and have they taken similar actions as a result of these communications?

“Should this not just be an editorial matter for The Late Late staff rather than for
members of the public to decide who appears on the show?

“RTÉ has so far refused to comment on this issue, but they must now come out and outline their exact reasoning for their decision to remove Mr McGinley from the show.

“Full transparency and clarity is needed when it comes to the actions of our national broadcaster.”

It has been more than 18 months since the deaths of Conor, Darragh and Carla.

Last May, their mother, Deirdre Morley, was found not guilty of their murder by reason of insanity and committed to the Central Mental Hospital.

Since then, Mr McGinley has been campaigning tirelessly for the greater inclusion for families in the mental health treatment of loved ones.

At the same time, he has been working on his charity efforts in memory of his three children.

Ms Morley took the lives of her sons Conor (9) and Darragh (7) and three-year-old daughter Carla on January 24 last year at their home in Newcastle, Co Dublin.

Her trial heard details of how she had suffered from mental health difficulties for several years.

Ms Morley, who worked
as a paediatric nurse at Crumlin Children’s Hospital, had a long history of depression and her condition escalated to delusion and psychosis by the time she took her children’s lives.

However, she hid the severity of her condition from those closest to her.

In the wake of the trial verdict, Mr McGinley has been calling for an inquiry into his wife’s care and diagnosis before the children’s deaths.


Most Watched





Privacy