News Irish News

Wednesday 21 February 2018

Tragic Ricky (2) dies after choking on piece of toast

Ricky Devine-McGinley died at Letterkenny University Hospital
Ricky Devine-McGinley died at Letterkenny University Hospital

Greg Harkin

A two-year-old boy died after choking on a piece of toast at his home in Donegal.

Little Ricky Devine-McGinley died after the freak accident at the home of a close relative near Milford, Donegal on ­Saturday last.

The toddler was first ­treated at a local health centre at ­approximately 1pm before being rushed to Letterkenny University Hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Parents Gerard McGinley and Ceara Devine have been left distraught.

Parish priest Fr Adrian McGavigan said "a terrible tragedy has fallen on the parish and the whole community".

"They (the family) are just devastated and all of the ­community has been gripped with grief," Fr McGavigan said.

"They are surrounded by a big family and their friends, and they are supporting them the best way they can."

Fr McGavigan said that it was like a "nightmare" that everyone wants to awaken out of, "but unfortunately it is so real and so sad", he said.

"People are bewildered just trying to figure out why. News like this travels so quick and makes the whole place sombre. It has put a cloud over the whole community," he added.

The death has been described as a "tragic accident".

Last night a large crowd of mourners gathered at the family home at Moyle Hill in Milford to comfort the family.

The boy's funeral takes place at St Peter's Church in Milford this Wednesday, followed by burial at Tully Graveyard.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News