Tuesday 21 November 2017

Tragic James loses fight for life after stranger’s punch

Independent.ie reporters and Conor Kane

A YOUNG man left on a life-support machine after an apparently random attack by a stranger in the street has lost his fight for life.

James Tynan (25), from Johnstown, Co Kilkenny, was on a life support machine following the assault in the early hours of Sunday morning.

James, known to his friends as ‘Duff’ died at about 7.30pm last night in South Tipperary General Hospital in Clonmel as his family and girlfriend Fiona Morrissey kept a bedside vigil.

Tributes poured out to the popular young man on Facebook. He worked with his father Pascal in the family business Tynan Meats and had many friends.

The attack happened at about 1.30am on Sunday morning in Thurles, Co Tipperary as he left the night club at Hayes Hotel.

It is believed a person he did not know ran towards him on the street outside and punched him once in the face, knocking him to the ground and causing severe head injuries.

The incident happened close to where Kilkenny All-Ireland-winning hurler PJ Delaney, was assaulted in September 1999.

Mr Delaney had also enjoyed a night out in Hayes's Hotel in Thurles before being attacked. Thankfully he went onto make a full recovery.

It is the second tragedy to strike the Tynan family. Pascal Tynan’s first wife died many years ago leaving him with four children. He remarried and James was the only son of Pascal’s marriage to his second wife Dolores.

Parish priest Fr Frank Maher said the tragedy had devastated the Tynan family and appealed for an end to violence on the streets.

“James never knew this man and he just isn’t the kind of person who would be in trouble like that,” he said.

A 22-year-old man, understood to be from Co Tipperary, was last night released without charge after being questioned by gardai.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News