| 7°C Dublin

Tourist fights for life after three die on roads


Gardai sign

Gardai sign

Gardai sign

An American tourist is fighting for her life following a two-car collision that claimed the life of her friend in Co Kerry.

Susan Joan Maher (59) from Minnesota, USA, died in Kerry General Hospital following the crash at Ballynane, Annascaul.

She was one of three people who lost their lives during a bleak 24-hour period on Irish roads.

Ms Maher was a front-seat passenger in a car that collided with another car at approximately 6.40pm on Thursday.

She was removed from the scene to Kerry General Hospital where she died later that evening.

Her 58-year-old friend, who was driving the car, remains in the intensive care unit.

The two had been holidaying in Co Kerry and gardai have contacted their relatives in the US.

The 39-year-old male driver of the other car was also taken to hospital but his injuries are not thought to be life threatening.

It was the second accident on the N86 that night involving a tourist.

About one hour earlier, a French tourist in her mid-50s was seriously injured when her motorcycle collided with an oncoming car at Luchair, also near Annascaul village.

Gardai in Dingle are investigating the crash and have appealed for witnesses to contact them at 066-9153850, the Garda Confidential Line at 1800 666 111, or any garda station.

Separately, a 24-year-old woman was travelling alone when she died in a collision at Castlebellingham, Co Louth, in the early hours of yesterday morning.

It is believed the motorist crashed into a parked car while driving in heavy fog on Main Street at 2am.

She was pronounced dead at the scene and her body was taken to our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda, where a post-mortem examination will be carried out.

The road remained closed as investigators examined the scene.

And a 39-year-old man tragically lost his life when the motorcycle he was driving collided with a tractor in Co Louth.

Derek Joyce from Brownstown, Monasterboice, died in the fatal incident in Tullyard, Ballymakenny Road, at around 5.40 Thursday evening.

Mr Joyce was pronounced dead at the scene. Town Mayor Kevin Callan said he was "shocked" by the death and extended his sympathies to Mr Joyce's family.

Gardai at Drogheda Garda Station appealed for witnesses.

Irish Independent