Tuesday 21 November 2017

Three youths admit to unprovoked gang attack on 17-year-old boy

Tom Tuite

THREE youths are awaiting sentence after they admitted taking part in an unprovoked gang attack on a 17-year-old boy at the Central Bank Plaza in Dublin city-centre last year.

The attack on July 9 last came after a teenage girl had already been beaten with a glass bottle by another girl who had been with the three youths, the Dublin Children's Court was told.



The three youths, a 17 year-old and two brothers aged 16 and 17, had been at the Central Blank Plaza and then attacked the boy.



The three pleaded guilty to assault charges today and Garda Kevin Cassidy told Judge Ann Ryan that each youth punched the teenager in the face during the attack which was captured on CCTV.



Judge Ryan said the attack was “totally unprovoked” but noted that the boy attacked did not suffer any injuries which she said was “very lucky”.



Solicitor Michelle Finan, for one of the 17-year-olds, said that youth had gone through a turbulent period at the time of the attack but has settled down. “Drink was involved,” the lawyer also said adding that the youth was willing to co-operate with the Probation and Welfare Service.



The court heard that he had no prior criminal convictions but “there are other matters in the pipeline”.



That teenager was remanded bail to appear again in July when a pre-sentence report is to be furnished to the court.



The two brothers were also remanded for sentencing in July. Judge Ryan said that one of them, who is on probation for other offences, “has been picking up charges at a ferocious rate”. That youth had a alcohol and cannabis problem, the court was told.

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News