Monday 23 July 2018

Three men jailed for racist attack on English tourist and bystander

Azra Naseem

THREE Dublin men have been jailed for nine months for their involvement in a racist attack on an English tourist and a local bystander whom they called a "nigger lover".

Derek Kenny (32), of Meades Terrace, Dublin 2, Brian Lee (24) of Raheen Park, Ballyfermot, and Philip Uzell (20) of Boyne Street, Dublin 2, pleaded guilty to involvement in various stages of the attack on the two men on June 11, 2000 on Pearse Street.

Detective Garda Oliver McEnerney told Dublin Circuit Criminal Court the main culprit, David Colclough (21) of Pearse Street, was jailed for seven and a half years in October 2001.

Colclough stabbed David Richardson (46) several times with a Swiss army knife, leaving him with severe injuries that forced him to give up his work as a metal engineer and go on disability benefit.

Kenny, Lee and Uzell admitted being involved in the attack on Mr Richardson's son, Christian, and on bystander Frank Murray.

Det Gda McEnerney said Mr Richardson, a white man, and his wife, a black woman, were in Dublin to visit their son and celebrate his 24th birthday and their wedding anniversary.

They were returning to Christian's flat in Ringsend around 12.40am when they encountered a gang of youths on Pearse Street who started shouting racist remarks at them.

Det Gda McEnerney told prosecuting counsel Hugo Hynes the family had walked about 100 metres past the group before Christian decided to turn back and confront them.

He suffered bruising to his face and lips in the ensuing attack but was able to defend himself better than his father.

Mr Murphy had been a passerby when the attack occurred and had lingered at the scene as gardai and an ambulance crew arrived.

Det Gda McEnerney said gardai were still at the scene when some of the men asked Murray: "Are you a nigger lover?" and assaulted him.

They hit, punched and kicked him at least 10 times and chased him from Pearse Street to Townsend Street onto Moss Street where he was hit several more times before he escaped.

Det Gda McEnerny said Uzell admitted to throwing away the knife which was used to stab Mr Richardson. He agreed with Uzell's counsel Brendan Grehan that Uzell had not been involved in the knife attack.

One of the youths involved in the attack had passed it to Uzell when they met him as they were fleeing the scene. Uzell threw it into a school grounds and later showed gardai where it was.

Gardai were able to trace fingerprints of the culprit as well as Mr Davidson's DNA samples from the blood on it.

Judge Elizabeth Dunne said the three had played comparatively small parts in the attack, and she might have considered non-custodial sentences had it not been for the underlying element of racism.

All had previous convictions. The three paid ?1,000 each in compensation to the victims.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News