Monday 15 July 2019

Three men arrested in connection with machete murder of Mikolaj Wilk are released without charge

Mikołaj Wilk
Mikołaj Wilk
Independent.ie Newsdesk

Independent.ie Newsdesk

Three men arrested in connection with the murder of Mikolaj WIlk have been released without charge.

The investigation into the horrific killing of Mr Wilk (35) in front of his wife and children last June is ongoing.

The three men were arrested in the Ballincollig and Togher areas.

All three are from Eastern Europe and were detained under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act.

A Garda statement this morning said: "Gardaí investigating the murder or Mikolaj Wilk in Ballincollig, Co Cork on June 10, 2018 have released the three men who were arrested on Tuesday morning, 22nd January, 2019.

"All three were released without charge and a file will be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions. Investigations are ongoing."

Frenzied attack: Mikolaj Wilk pictured with his wife Elzbieta
Frenzied attack: Mikolaj Wilk pictured with his wife Elzbieta

A key theory being examined by Gardaí is whether Mr Wilk was targeted by a criminal gang with international links over some kind of personal grudge.

Last year, the inquest into the death of gardener Mr Wilk was adjourned on the application of Gardaí.

Cork Coroner Dr Philip Comyn adjourned the inquest after hearing evidence of the gruesome injuries suffered by Mr Wilk when he was subjected to a frenzied attack by a masked gang of between three and four men.

Mr Wilk was subjected to a prolonged assault at his home at Bridge House, Maglin outside Ballincollig at 3am on June 10 last.

A masked gang forced their way into the property and attacked Mr Wilk while his terrified wife and two children were also present.

Among the weapons believed to have been used to attack the Polish gardener was a machete.

Gardai at the house in Maglin, Ballincollig, where Mikolaj Wilk was killed and his partner Elzbieta seriously injured
Gardai at the house in Maglin, Ballincollig, where Mikolaj Wilk was killed and his partner Elzbieta seriously injured

Assistant State Pathologist Dr Margaret Bolster told the inquest Mr Wilk suffered multiple injuries.

Last July, Gardaí conducted an exhaustive technical examination of a number of vehicles seized in raids across Cork as part of the hunt for the killers of Mr Wilk.

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News