'Their daddy has been vindicated' - Jason's sister tells of hope for family
Tracey Lynch praises friends and neighbours for helping them fight to clear brother's reputation
The sister of murdered Jason Corbett says it doesn't matter what Molly Martens-Corbett and her father say, because "they are convicted killers and liars".
Tracey Lynch and her husband David have released a hard-hitting statement after an interview by 33-year-old Martens-Corbett and her 67-year-old father Thomas Martens was aired on US television.
Members of the Martens family also started an online fundraising campaign to help with their legal costs and to also "fight the wrongful death suit".
Last week, the pair were found guilty of the second-degree murder of Limerick man Mr Corbett (39) at a court in Lexington, North Carolina.
But Mr Corbett's sister Tracey and her husband David said it does not matter what the Martens say anymore as they are now behind bars.
The grieving family revealed that they just want to "get back to some normality" following the gruelling four-week trial in Lexington.
The couple, who adopted Mr Corbett's children from a previous marriage, said: "We all now know what happened. That Jason was beaten around his head when in bed. That they continued to beat him after he died. Jason's children, Jack and Sarah, had to be sheltered by police from seeing what the Martens had done to their father."
The couple were in Lexington during the trial and they said that when they heard the verdicts last Wednesday, their first thoughts went to Mr Corbett's children.
"Their daddy was now vindicated. We rang them to tell them the news. Our priority after the trial and sentencing was to get home to them as quickly as possible. We were never as anxious to get on a flight as we were on Thursday. We wanted to talk to Jack and Sarah, and our own children, and just hug them and hold them tight," they said.
They recalled their joyous reunion in Limerick and thanked the people of the city for the support they received.
"When we got home on Saturday, Jack and Sarah and our own children were waiting for us with little flags and banners to welcome us.
"We are grateful to the people of Limerick for the fundraising that they did to help us get Jack and Sarah home and to help us fight to clear Jason's reputation.
"We thank them for the thousands of acts of kindness to us, to our parents and other family members. We are grateful for the Masses, the cards, the prayers and everything else they did for us.
"It really means so much that your own people are backing you during a horrible time."
The couple also confirmed that they will not be doing any media interviews at this time. "We have missed out on too much time with our own children, and with Jack and Sarah, as a family.
"School is back in a few weeks and we intend to use the time before then to try to get back to some normality."
The father and daughter had pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder and claimed they acted in self-defence.
But a jury of nine women and three men unanimously rejected their claims last week.
The father and daughter are to lodge legal papers within the 90-day period legally allowed, with the North Carolina Court of Appeals, to challenge their murder convictions.
The Corbett family are affronted by efforts by the Martens family to crowdfund $300,000 (€255,500) to help with the appeal.
Less than $15,000 had been raised by last night.