The state visit by day
Monday, April 7
President arrives into Heathrow and is greeted by the Irish ambassador Dan Mulhall and Viscount Hood, lord-in-waiting to the queen.
Tuesday, April 8
* He will be met at the Irish embassy by the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall and they will travel to Windsor together.
* He will be formally greeted by the queen, in Windsor Castle and inspect guard of honour.
* After lunch, he will visit Westminster Abbey for a wreath-laying ceremony at the Grave of the Unknown Warrior.
* In the late afternoon, he will address both houses of parliament.
* A state banquet will be held at Windsor Castle.
Wednesday, April 9
* The President will view the colours of the disbanded Irish Regiments.
* He will visit University College Hospital to meet Irish staff.
* He will visit the Royal Society before travelling to 10 Downing Street for a lunch with Prime Minister David Cameron.
* Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg will pay a courtesy call to him at Buckingham Palace.
* A banquet will be held that evening at the Guildhall hosted by the mayor of London.
Thursday, April 10
* The day will start with a visit to farms in Oxford and then Park House Stables in Kingsclere.
* In the early evening there is a Northern Ireland-themed reception at Windsor Castle.
* A celebration of Irish song, dance and poetry will be held at the Royal Albert Hall.
Friday, April 11
* Farewells at Windsor Castle before a visit to the Royal Shakespeare Company in Stratford-upon-Avon.
* Visit to Coventry Cathedral and tour of the ruins of the old Cathedral, destroyed in World War II.
* Depart for Baldonnel.