Tesco says it is committed to finding a solution as strike looms
Tesco says it remains committed to finding a resolution to disputes with its employees, which led to the announcement of a strike next week.
Workers at the grocery chain announced they would down tools from next Monday in protest at changes in conditions of their employment.
In a statement, a spokesperson for Tesco said it was "disappointed with the announcement.
"We remain committed to reaching agreement on this issue and earlier this week we formally tabled a generous proposal for compensation for colleagues in scope," the spokesperson added.
The statement said the changes were needed to improve customer service, and confirmed that stores throughout the country would be open for business on Monday.
Mandate announced the strike in response to pay cuts of between 15pc and 35pc, reductions to overtime and to employees' annual bonus.
The union said Tesco would be able to prevent the strike if it rowed back on contract changes or came to the Labour Court to discuss the matter.
Gerry Light, Mandate's assistant secretary general, said Tesco's actions were "a worry for all of our members in the company".
"Tesco is an extremely profitable employer making more than €200m in profits in the Republic of Ireland, and now they're attacking the very people who built the company to what it is today," he added.
"They are tearing up contracts of employment and implementing changes without agreement and if they get away with doing this to their longest serving members of staff, who will be next?"
Pickets will be placed at more than 70 stores across Ireland from 7am on Monday, and will remain in place until bosses reverse cuts or confirm their attendance at the Labour Court.