Teen is found by mum after suspected drug overdose
Tributes have been paid to a popular 16-year-old boy who died following a suspected drug overdose.
Michael Cornacchia was discovered by his mother in an unresponsive state in a bedroom at his home in the Deerpark estate, Friars Walk, Cork city yesterday morning.
Medical personnel were called but the teenager was pronounced dead at the scene.
A talented footballer, Michael played for his local club Kilreen Celtic. Club chairman Donal Kelleher described him as a "quiet" and "popular" teenager.
"He was with us for a good few years and was playing with the U16s recently. He was a good player, he played centre-half for us," Mr Kelleher told the Irish Independent.
"He was a good young fella who was quiet. It's very hard for everyone at the club to take."
Gardaí have spoken to friends of the tragic teenager and believe he had been out socialising on Sunday night.
A toxicology report will determine the exact cause of Michael's death. However, it may take several weeks to complete.