Friday 24 November 2017

Teen helps save man from drowning as three lose life in water

Brian O'Sullivan (15), from Wicklow Heights, jumped into the water to rescue a man
Brian O'Sullivan (15), from Wicklow Heights, jumped into the water to rescue a man
Conor Feehan

Conor Feehan

THREE men drowned over the weekend and another was taken unconscious from the water as appeals were issued for people to be careful when swimming.

Ten people have now lost their lives in swimming tragedies since the current heatwave began two weeks ago.

Last night, a 44-year-old man from the Ballyboden area of Dublin was in intensive care after he was taken from the water at Wicklow.

Brian O'Sullivan (15), from Wicklow Heights, jumped into the water to rescue the man, and described the events.

“I was down at the harbour with some friends, and I saw the man in the water looked like he was in difficulty, and then he was lying face down so I jumped in to see if I could help,” he told the Herald.

“He was unconscious and I held his head above the water and shouted to the lifeguard, and when he was taken out on a kayak to the shore there was very little signs of life,” said the Colaiste Cill Mhantain student.

“The boy and girl in the water with him were very distressed, and a group of people on the beach who seemed to know them were minding them as the ambulance crews worked on him,” he explained.

It was a busy weekend for emergency services.

The body of a 65-year-old man who had been missing and presumed drowned was recovered yesterday from a quarry near Ahenny, Co Tipperary.

He was named as Joseph Grinsell from Ahenny, near Carrick-on-Suir.

On Saturday, Conor Cunningham (24) originally from Clonmel in Tipperary, was airlifted to Letterkenny General Hospital after he got into difficulty in the sea in Ardara in Co Donegal. He subsequently died.

And in Co Tyrone James Kincaid (34), from the Newtownstewart area, drowned after he got into difficulty in the River Strule in his home town at about 5.20pm on Saturday.

Later, members of the unit rescued a female swimmer who got into difficulty after swimming out to the Virgin Rock in Ballybunion.

Irish Water Safety, gardai and coastguard units renewed their appeals to people to be extra vigilant if taking part in water-based sports or recreation.

Meanwhile, two men had to be airlifted to safety in separate incidents yesterday.

One man was brought to Beaumont Hospital after apparently having a seizure while swimming in the Malahide estuary. The alarm was raised by two friends of the man, one of whom was swimming with him at the time.

In Wexford, a diver who suffered the bends after coming to the surface too quickly had to be airlifted to Galway to be put in a decompression chamber.

He had treatment in a decompression, or hyperbaric chamber, which involves the victim waiting in a sealed unit under carefully controlled conditions until air bubbles in their bloodstream are dissolved.

Also, two children and a woman have been rescued in two separate incidents in the sea at Ballybunion in Co Kerry.

Ballybunion Sea and Cliff Rescue launched a boat after an emergency call yesterday morning reported that the children were being blown out to sea by an off-shore breeze in an inflatable ring buoy.

The children, aged seven and 10, were picked up less than a mile off shore.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News