Tuesday 20 February 2018

Taxi driver left with broken nose after telling man he couldn't bring him home

Amy Molloy

Amy Molloy

A taxi driver had to spend a night in A&E after suffering a broken nose following a brutal attack in Wexford town on St Patrick's night.

Father-of-two Vincent Grace was hit a number of times on the head after telling a man, who had been drinking, that he couldn't bring him home because he had another job booked.

Mr Grace has been working as a taxi driver in the Wexford area for 12 years and has been out of work for the past week following the attack.

He claimed the man responsible punched him through the window of his bus and started pulling on the door of the vehicle.

The person who attacked him is described as being in his 30s and well-known in the area.

"I was pulled in along the quays of Wexford waiting for a passenger who had asked me to bring him home," Mr Grace told Independent.ie.

"This fella, who I know, started trying to flag me down. I was shaking my head and pulled down the window to tell him I had another booking. He asked me five or six times to bring him home and each time I explained how I couldn't.

"He called his girlfriend across the road and then started trying to get into my bus. Meanwhile, she had flagged down another taxi but he still persisted.

"Next minute, he turned to me and said 'You are nothing but a f**king p**ck' and punched me in the side of the head through the window."

Mr Grace said the man punched him five times in total and broke his nose.

There was blood all over his bus and a fellow taxi driver had to intervene after the man tried to pull open the door to carry on the attack.

After visiting the care doctor on duty in Wexford town, he was sent to A&E and did not get home until nearly 12pm the next day.

"There's not a night that I'm working now that I don't see trouble when I'm out. Everyone uses drink as an excuse but it's not acceptable. I usually only take phone jobs now so I know who I'm picking up.

"I've lost out on a week's wages because of this."

Gardaí in Wexford are investigating the incident.

No arrests have been made.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News