News Irish News

Friday 17 November 2017

'Sweet-like' detergent tabs still a danger

Eilish O'Regan

Eilish O'Regan

PARENTS are being warned about the ongoing dangers of accidental poisoning among young children who are mistaking liquid detergent capsules for sweets.

The brightly coloured capsules accounted for 220 calls to the National Poisons Information Centre last year after children bit into them.

Children may need hospital treatment for serious burns to the skin, eyes and throat when they bite into or burst the concentrated capsules.

Nine in 10 who were affected were children under five years of age and 149 had some symptoms, including vomiting. A small number became drowsy or had a fit of coughing while 12 endured repeated vomiting.

The centre's clinical director Dr Edel Duggan revealed that concerns led to talks with the manufacturers of the products, and changes were made to packaging to make them more child-proof. The changes meant that the capsules should not be visible through transparent plastic containers.The manufacturers have now also signed up to a voluntary stewardship plan to try to address the issue

"Calls are down around 30pc for the first six months of this year - it is going in the right direction," Dr Duggan said.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News