| 4°C Dublin

Suspect quizzed on mutilated body find

A MAN was being held on suspicion of murder last night in connection with the "violent killing" of another man whose badly decomposed and battered body was left partially submerged in a ditch.

A 39-year-old man was being questioned by detectives at Blanchardstown garda station last night after being arrested shortly after 1pm yesterday.

Up to 60 gardai are investigating the killing, after the remains were found submerged in three feet of water in a field close to Belgree Avenue in Tyrellstown, Dublin 15, on Thursday afternoon.

The victim is believed to be in his late 20s but such were the extent of his injuries that DNA will have to be used to identify the body, investigators revealed last night.

It is understood the victim, thought to be missing man Adil Essalhi, was stabbed, beaten, disfigured and burnt a week before his body was found.

His face was reportedly smashed in with a brick or another heavy object so that he could not be identified.

Gardai believe the body may have been dumped at the site up to a week ago.

"The body would have to have been carried," said Superintendent John Gilligan last night.

He urged anyone who may have seen anything suspicious to contact gardai immediately.

Gardai would not confirm the body is that of Mr Essalhi (28) until a post-mortem examination by State Pathologist Marie Cassidy is complete.

Mr Essalhi is well known to gardai and had numerous convictions.

However, senior detectives revealed the killing did not appear to be the result of a gangland feud.

One senior officer said: "It was an evil, violent attack."

He added that he believed the prime suspects were not major gangland figures but convicted burglars. "We have an idea who did this. These are low-life criminals in west Dublin."


Gardai last night refused to confirm media reports linking the death of the man with the murder of another man in Finglas more than four years ago.

Meanwhile in Youghal, Co Cork, gardai investigating the murder of Michael 'Mikey' O'Shea yesterday arrested a young man in connection with the killing. Mr O'Shea had his throat cut and his apartment then set on fire.

The man in his late 20s was arrested shortly after 9am in Cobh, Co Cork, and taken to Midleton for questioning.

The arrest came after gardai continued their efforts to confirm Mr O'Shea's last known movements.

Irish Independent