Friday 19 January 2018

Suspect in Luas stabbing attack falls critically ill

Milltown Luas stabbing
Milltown Luas stabbing

Ken Foy and Conor Feehan

A YOUNG man who was arrested after a brutal attack at a Luas stop was clinging to life after being rushed to hospital yesterday evening.

The Garda Siochana Ombudsman Commission (GSOC) confirmed it is investigating the incident as the man - who is in his 20s - had been in garda custody before being taken to Beaumont Hospital.


It is understood that the head injuries he suffered happened during the incident on Sunday at the Milltown Luas stop.

Sources said the attack would have definitely led to a murder if it had not been for the timely intervention of two Luas security men.

The young man who was hospitalised last evening is one of two who were arrested after the attack. The other is aged in his 30s.

The man in his 20s who was arrested sustained head injuries in the Luas incident and was taken to St James' Hospital. He was then taken to Rathmines Garda Station after being discharged.

READ MORE: Man stabbed at Luas stop 'saved by two security guards' who were set upon by thugs

However, while in the station yesterday afternoon he became extremely unwell and was rushed to Beaumont Hospital.

He was in a critical condition there last night, and sources said there was "grave concern for his welfare".

A manhunt is under way for two other men who gardai believe were involved in the violence at Milltown.

In total, four people needed hospital treatment after the incident.

The first victim, a man in his 20s with an address in Blessington, Co Wicklow, owes his life to the two security guards who came to his aid, gardai said.

He suffered injuries to his neck, back and leg when he was set upon by the two attackers shortly before 8pm.

Two Special Task Team (STT) Luas security men, one Irish and the other Lithuanian, intervened and were also set on by the two men, who blinded them with pepper spray.


One of the attackers then lunged at one of the guards, stabbing him in the leg.

Despite their injuries, the security men managed to hold on to the attackers until gardai arrived.

The Luas guards and the man who had been attacked, who suffered what were described as serious but non-life threatening injuries, were transferred to St Vincent's University Hospital.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News