News Irish News

Friday 23 February 2018

Suspect in gym owner's shooting dies after attack

Karl Wynne
Karl Wynne

Tom Brady Security Editor

A MAN believed by gardai to have carried out the attempted murder of gym owner Sean Enright has died after himself being shot.

Karl Wynne (45) suffered severe injuries to his head and upper spine after he was shot four times at Mountain Park Road in Tallaght, south county Dublin, on May 30.

He was placed on a life support machine in Tallaght hospital but yesterday lost his seven-week battle to survive.

Less than a fortnight before the shooting he had been questioned by gardai about the attempted murder of gym owner Mr Enright.


Mr Enright was shot at the Ballyboggan business park in Glasnevin on the northside of the city but Wynne was later released without charge.

However, officers said last night that Wynne had remained the prime suspect for the shooting.

Since the Tallaght shooting, gardai have investigated more than 200 lines of inquiry, carried out searches in the Finglas area in Dublin and trawled through CCTV footage but have not yet made any arrests.

They believe a gang based in Finglas was responsible for the gun attack on Wynne, who had spent more than half of his life locked up in prisons here and in the UK.

Wynne had been circulating in the Tallaght area in the months before he was shot but was originally from Ballygall Road in Finglas. He was gunned down outside St Dominic's shopping centre by the pillion passenger on a motorcycle, who fired five shots from a handgun, hitting his victim once in the head and three times in the body.

Wynne was sentenced to seven years' imprisonment in 1999 after pleading guilty to robbing the EBS branch at Shandon Street in Cork. The court heard that Wynne, who was alone and unmasked, calmly entered the building and produced a fake revolver when one of the staff challenged him.

He grabbed £3,335 and made off in a hackney cab. Detectives and the branch manager followed him in an unmarked car and approached him as he got out of the cab.

They were forced to back off when he pointed the gun at them but gardai eventually arrested him as he tried to hijack a car.

Earlier, he had spent 10 years in prison in the UK while living at several addresses in London. He was convicted of possession of drugs, theft and unauthorised taking of a vehicle.

Wynne was also known to be an associate of Alan Desmond, whose body was found near Killinarden Hill in Tallaght two weeks before Wynne was hit.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News