Monday 28 May 2018

Suspect for failed hit on bodybuilder dies from injuries

Ken Foy

A NOTORIOUS criminal who tried to kill a bodybuilder in a botched gangland hit died this morning from catastrophic injuries he received days after the attempted gun murder.

Karl Wynne (47) died in Tallaght Hospital at around 10am today where he had been under armed guard since being shot three times after being lured to a meeting in Tallaght on the night of May 30.

Wynne who was nicknamed the ‘Lone Ranger' had previously been arrested in connection with the non fatal shooting of well known bodybuilder Sean Enright at a Cabra gym but was released without charge after being questioned for five days.

Less than a week later, he suffered injuries when he was targeted by a gunman at the junction of St Dominic's Road and Mountain Park Road in Tallaght.

The gunman escaped the scene on the back of a motorbike before fleeing to the northside of the city.

Gardai have been working on the theory that Wynne was shot by the same Finglas gang who were also responsible for the gun murder of drug dealer Paul Cullen in a Cabra pub last February.

Father-of-five Wynne – who was originally from Finglas but living in Tallaght – previously served a lengthy jail sentence for an armed bank robbery in Cork and spent over half his life in prison in England and Ireland.

He was also suspected of the gun murder of Tallaght criminal Alan Desmond in April.

Sources say that he battled a heroin addiction for years and in recent times had been offering himself as a gun for hire.

However he “signed his own death warrant” when he botched the hit on Enright and gardai believe that the same gang who ordered Enright's murder may also be responsible for Wynne's death.

A senior source told the Herald: “The main line in this investigation is that the crew who shot Wynne is the same crew that ordered Enright's shooting – which is something that Wynne was arrested for.

“These are a crew based in the Cabra and Finglas area who are also definitely linked to the murder of drug dealer Paul Cullen earlier this year.

“They clearly think that Mr

Wynne was disposable and a legitimate target – he had been warned that his life was under serious threat.”

Separately, detectives investigating the gun murder of Alan Desmond in Tallaght three months ago have established that Wynne had worked for Desmond in the past and have described Wynne as “a person of major interest” in the Desmond murder probe.

Gardai have been investigating if Wynne lured Desmond to a meeting near Killinarden Hill in Tallaght, Co Dublin where he was shot dead.

Wynne was also the chief suspect for a spate of armed robberies in Dublin in the past year including a bank robbery in Dublin city centre and a post office raid in Finglas.

Meanwhile, Sean Enright who had a miraculous escape after being shot by Wynne continues to make a good recovery at National Rehabilitation Centre in Dun Laoghaire.

Mr Enright was shot at his Universal Warrior gym, on Ballybogan Business Park in Finglas, north Dublin.

At the time gardai said Wynne, who was originally from Finglas and had a number of convictions, had been known to them for a "considerable period of time".

Mr Wynne was jailed for seven years in 1999 for holding up the EBS building society in Cork and making off in a taxi.

He had been charged with a number of other robberies, including a hair salon and a pharmacy.

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News