Saturday 20 July 2019

Students hospitalised after acid spilled by teacher

Stock picture
Stock picture
Ian Begley

Ian Begley

Two secondary school students were rushed to hospital in south Dublin yesterday afternoon after their science teacher accidentally dropped a container of sulphuric acid.

Five fire engines and three ambulances were called to Old Bawn Community School in Tallaght after 100ml of the dangerous chemical spilled during a class experiment.

It's understood that a small amount of the corrosive substance splashed onto the faces of two students.

The class was immediately evacuated before the school contacted the emergency services.

Speaking to the Irish Independent, principal Paul Crone said two students were taken to hospital.

"By the time the fire brigade came, the teacher had cleaned their wounds, evacuated the class and neutralised the spillage with sand," he said.

"Although there wasn't a great deal of acid spilled, we felt that medical professionals should examine these students just to be sure.

"Thankfully, they were all right and everything returned to normal in the afternoon."

It's understood that the students were treated for minor burns in hospital, but released a short time later. They didn't return to school after the incident yesterday.

"The teacher is more embarrassed than anything else, but she reacted superbly and followed all the right protocols," Mr Crone said.

"We even received praise from Dublin Fire Brigade (DFB) on how we handled the situation."

DFB later mentioned the incident on Twitter. "Today firefighters and advanced paramedics were called to a school in Tallaght following a small chemical spill," it said online. "Staff acted promptly to deal with the substance. Firefighters ventilated the building using a fan and two people were taken to hospital."

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News