Friday 24 November 2017

Student's body found

The family of a missing student have thanked gardaí and teams of volunteer helpers for their search efforts after a body was located.

Three days of searching for GMIT student Jason McNulty ended on Saturday when a body was found on the coastline at Roscam, Galway, not far from where he was last seen.

Mr McNulty, originally from Swinford, Co Mayo, but living in Castlebar, had been out socialising with friends when he went missing. He was last seen at around 6am last Wednesday leaving the Connacht Hotel, close to Renmore. He had travelled to Galway to take part in the unofficial Rag Week activities.

His family expressed their gratitude to all those who had taken part in the search efforts.

Phone charger blaze

A phone charger which overheated after it was left plugged in has sparked a house fire.

Dublin Fire Brigade issued a warning after a room in the property in Castleknock was extensively damaged following the fire at 11.20am yesterday. No one was injured.

"It'll never happen to me! Well it did this morning in west Dublin, fire caused by phone charger over heating. Beware," Dublin Fire Brigade tweeted, along with photographs of the incident.

Elsewhere, another fire crew rescued a dog that got trapped on a rail line. The pup managed to slip through the railings along the track at Binns Bridge, near Drumcondra, and down the embankment. The dog's owner raised the alarm. A spokesman for the fire brigade said train services were suspended while crew members rescued the dog.

Child car seat fears

Parents have been warned to ensure their children are securely fastened while in the car after a survey revealed that 76pc of people have had a child escape from their car seat.

Of a sample of 1,375 parents with children under the age of 12, three-quarters said one or more of their children has at some stage freed themselves from the straps. A quarter of parents also reported their child opening the door of a moving car.

"The buckles in most good car seats are designed to be difficult for little fingers to open. Having said that, some kids will manage, my own daughter back in the day included," said Conor Faughnan, AA's director of consumer affairs, adding: "We're asking parents to do their best to drill into their kids how important it is to stay in their restraints."

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News