Tuesday 16 January 2018

Student who fell off 25ft wall died of head injuries

Caolan Mulrooney: gardai say death was accidental
Caolan Mulrooney: gardai say death was accidental
Ralph Riegel

Ralph Riegel

A MISSING student discovered dead at the foot of a 25ft-high wall suffered severe head and torso injuries consistent with a fall.

The finding came as a post-mortem examination was carried out yesterday on Caolan Mulrooney (18) who was the focus of a massive five-day search operation in Cork.

Mr Mulrooney -- a first-year engineering student at University College Cork (UCC) -- was discovered dead at the foot of the wall in a commercial yard at Blue Anchor Lane just off the city centre at 10am on Tuesday.

Gardai are treating his death as a tragic accident and suspect the Rochestown student may have jumped over the wall -- which is 7ft high on one side -- without realising there was a 25ft drop on the other side.

Hundreds are expected to attend Mr Mulrooney's funeral with the young man reposing at St Patrick's Church, Rochestown, from 5.30pm this evening.

He will be buried after 12 noon Requiem Mass tomorrow.

Mr Mulrooney's body was discovered by a shocked businessman behind a small storage shed when he went to check his premises having heard an appeal from the dean man's father, Eugene.

It is believed the student died almost instantly from his injuries and a full post-mortem was conducted yesterday by Assistant State Pathologist Dr Margaret Bolster at Cork University Hospital (CUH).

The discovery came after a huge search operation for Mr Mulrooney, supported by more than 400 volunteers and gardai.

The search was launched after the student vanished in the early hours of Friday morning.

He had been out at a Christmas party with college friends and attended Cubin's nightclub on Thursday evening.

Mr Mulrooney became separated from his friends as he left the club. He was last seen with a female friend but, when she re-emerged from the club having gone to retrieve her coat, he had vanished.


He was later spotted crossing the South Gate Bridge and then turning on to French's Quay.

For three days stretches of the River Lee were trawled as part of one of the biggest search operations ever mounted in Cork.

Gardai switched the search to areas off Douglas Street on Monday after they studied CCTV camera footage.

Mr Mulrooney was caught by one camera running along a road off Barrack Street -- in a direction away from the river.

The young man is survived by his parents, Eugene and Margaret, and siblings Muiread, Seosai, Odhran and Eanna.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News