| 13.6°C Dublin

Stabbing victim lay dying for four hours outside his home


Shane O'Connor: victim was recently released from prison

Shane O'Connor: victim was recently released from prison

Gardai at the scene of the fatal stabbing on St Donagh's Road in Donaghmede, north Dublin

Gardai at the scene of the fatal stabbing on St Donagh's Road in Donaghmede, north Dublin


Shane O'Connor: victim was recently released from prison

A STABBING victim lay dying on the ground outside his home for up to four hours before he was discovered by a passerby.

Shane O'Connor (22), from St Donagh's Road, Donaghmede, north Dublin, was discovered just metres from his front door and was taken to Beaumont Hospital, where he died.

Gardai have launched a murder investigation following the incident that has shocked locals.

Officers believe that O'Connor was stabbed a number of times between 3am and 7am after an altercation following a night out on Sunday.

O'Connor, a father-of-one, had secured temporary release from prison three weeks ago -- but had been due to be released next month.

Last November he was sentenced to 16 months in prison after he pleaded guilty to two counts of assault causing harm to his girlfriend Sabrina Hayes.

At the time the court was told that the couple got into a row in a room they rented at Bewley's Hotel near Dublin airport in December 2009.

While Ms Hayes tried to leave, O'Connor threw a bottle in her direction, which ricocheted and smashed.

A shard of glass became embedded in her head and left her "gushing blood".

She reported the assault after he hit her with another bottle in a supermarket car park in October, 2010.

One line of inquiry being followed by gardai investigating the murder is that O'Connor was attacked by a local gang that he had fallen foul of before he went into prison.

Locals yesterday described hearing an argument on the road at around 3am and seeing a number of men out on the street.


A 999 call was made before 7am and paramedics worked on O'Connor before he was brought to hospital. However, he died soon after arrival.

A large area of the road was sealed off yesterday and gardai could be seen combing the area for evidence. Officers also made door-to-door enquiries.

O'Connor had remained in a relationship with Ms Hayes after he was released and her friends yesterday described him as "the love of her life".

A family member at her home said that she was too devastated to comment after learning that he had died.

Neighbours said that O'Connor was a "decent guy" who served time in prison but was not usually in trouble.

He was described as a talented soccer player who often played locally with friends but was not involved with a team.

O'Connor worked in a supermarket in the south-Dublin suburb of Blackrock and was said to be looking forward to rebuilding his life after leaving prison.

His parents Mark and Sinead and his two young sisters remained in the hospital with his remains yesterday evening.

Gardai have appealed to anyone who witnessed anything on the road between 3am and 7am to contact Coolock garda station on 01-6664200.

Irish Independent