Solicitor for six families evicted from halting site: 'Family with eight-day old baby given 48 hours' notice for eviction
A solicitor for six of the families who were evicted from a halting site has said the families were given 48 hours notice to leave their homes.
On Friday, there were heated exchanges at Woodland Park in Dundalk as Louth County Council sought the removal of the families.
The council insisted that the decision to seek the removal of the families from the site was based solely on concerns for health and safety.
Today, Eleanor Kelly, solicitor for six of the evicted families said the youngest family member is eight days old.
Four of the families stayed in B&B accommodation this weekend, while two others stayed with their families and friends.
“The youngest is eight days old, there are 17 families in total,” she told RTE's Morning Ireland.
“The difficulty is that they were given 48 hours to find alternative accommodation.”
She said she had been in contact with Louth County Council about the site at Woodland Park last August, but did not hear back from the council until last week when the families were being delivered 48 hours’ notice to be evicted.
A fire officer visited the site in October and deemed it to be a hazard.
“If there’s work to be done, there’s work to be done.” But she added: “I was in contact with the council last August”
“The ideal situation is to allow them to go to a halting site but there’s no other halting site in Dundalk.”
“These are Dundalk families, they want to be in Dundalk, but I’m aware the halting site in Drogheda is full anyway.”
The council met with Traveller representatives on Saturday to agree on temporary accommodation for the 17 families involved.
Woodland Park was formerly an official halting site but it was closed in 2008.