Soldier dies in fall at barracks
A military police and Garda investigation has been launched following the death of a soldier at a Dublin army barracks.
Private Patrick Conlon, 32, fell from a height in the early hours of Thursday morning at McKee Barracks in the north-west of the city.
The Defence Forces have described the incident as "a tragic accident".
The soldier, who is from Collooney in Co Sligo, was taken to the Mater Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 2.10am.
Private Conlon was based in the 28th Infantry Battalion in Co Donegal.
Chief of Staff of the Defence Forces Lieutenant General Sean McCann extended his sympathies to the Conlon family and their friends.
In a statement, the forces said personnel support and chaplaincy services had been in contact with the soldier's next of kin. "Our thoughts and prayers are with his family at this time," it said.
Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence Alan Shatter extended his sympathy to the Conlon family.
"I wish to express my deepest sympathy to the family of Patrick Conlon at this sad time," Mr Shatter said. "In particular I would like to extend my condolences to his mother and father Heather and Christopher, his partner Louise and his brothers Michael and Daragh on their sudden loss.
"I would also like to extend my sympathies to Private Conlon's colleagues in the 28th Infantry Battalion based in Donegal and his many friends throughout the Defence Forces."