Sunday 21 January 2018

Soccer player to be quizzed over vicious nightclub assault

The incident is understood to have taken place in the Buck Whaley's night club on Leeson Street on Friday night/Saturday morning.
The incident is understood to have taken place in the Buck Whaley's night club on Leeson Street on Friday night/Saturday morning.

Paul Williams

AN Irish soccer player is to be interviewed by gardai investigating a "vicious unprovoked" attack on a man in a night club.

The incident is understood to have taken place in the Buck Whaley's night club on Leeson Street on Friday night/Saturday morning.

A young man from Finglas suffered serious facial injuries when he was repeatedly punched in what sources said was an unprovoked attack in the popular nightclub.

However, the matter didn't come to the attention of the gardai until yesterday when the injured man made a formal complaint in Pearse Street station.

He had been in hospital since the incident where he was treated for facial injuries, including a broken nose and teeth.

It is understood he didn't know who the alleged assailant was.

A senior source last night confirmed that they have taken a statement from the injured man and they will be interviewing the footballer in the next few days.

Gardai are obtaining the nightclub's CCTV footage and have spoken to a number of witnesses.

A senior source has also revealed that officers will investigate why they were not notified about the incident after which it is alleged the sportsman was ejected from the premises.

There was a large crowd of people in the nightclub at the time and the alleged assailant has been positively identified to investigating officers.

UNPROVOKED

"This was a very vicious and unprovoked attack and we will be enquiring from the security staff as to why the gardai were not called to investigate," the source told the Irish Independent last night.

"The young man who was attacked suffered serious facial injuries and has been left very shaken by his ordeal.

"The victim of this attack was not aware of who attacked him but witnesses have approached gardai and said who it was."

Sources said they expect to talk to the footballer early this week after all relevant CCTV footage – both inside and outside the nightclub – and witness statements are examined.

Investigations, which are at an early stage, are continuing.

The professional soccer player was in Dublin after his soccer season ended in recent weeks.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News