News Irish News

Sunday 18 February 2018

Six-year-old's horror injuries after being mauled by dog

*Little Abby Cuddihy had to get 17 stitches to the face>
*She also has bite marks and extensive bruising across her body
*“She is scarred for life,” her mother Donna Cuddihy said
*Animal has since been destroyed and a file sent to the DPP

Abby Cuddihy
Abby Cuddihy

A six-year-old girl is recovering today after being savaged by a dog.

Abbie Cuddihy, was attacked by an American Akita, near her home while she was out playing.

The girl received 17 stitches to her face after she attempted to pet the dog on a green area by her Limerick city home in Lynwood Park around 6.30pm on Wednesday.

She was also bitten across the body in the horrific incident and was brought to University Hospital, Limerick where she was treated for her injuries but returned home this morning.

“Every time I close my eyes I kept seeing it happen again,” she said as she recovers from her injuries at home.


“She is scarred for life,” her mother Donna Cuddihy said.

“She could have lost her eye. Her shoulder has bite marks and her arm is punctured. We felt we have to justify to everyone that the dog did this,” Ms Cuddihy said.

The six-year-old suffered extensive wounds to her face and body, lacerations on her forehead alone and required constant treatment at hospital.

It is believed that the 12-year-old dog belonged to a family on nearby St Patrick's Road.

As part of follow up enquiries, gardai from Henry Street assisted by the Limerick Dog Warden rounded up the dog. The animal has since been destroyed.

“I'm feeling a bit sore on my head and my arm,” Abbie said this morning. “I went over to rub the dog and then he growled at me and I rubbed him again and he attacked me.

“It was just fast. I was just so scared. My mam and my nana were crying and I had to calm them down a bit. They were really nice in the hospital. I feel a bit sore now. I'm happy to be home,” the little girl said.

Her mother Donna said she was in the kitchen when she was alerted.

“She was brought over to me by a neighbour pumping blood with a tissue on her head and I opened the door.

“I started screaming when I saw her. I went over and pulled back the tissue from her head and I had seen it was split open and it got worse. Then mam came down the stairs and she started screaming so we got into the car,” she added.

“We called the gardai as we drove out to the hospital.

“We were rushed straight in (at the hospital),” her mother said.

After spending two nights in hospital, Abbie was brought back home this morning where her mother and grandmother are caring for her.

Gardai are continuing their investigations and a file is being prepared for the DPP.

Kathryn Hayes

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News