News Irish News

Thursday 24 January 2019

Shooting victim's life saved by man who let him into home and blocked attackers

Members of the Gardai at Chaplain Terrace following the shooting in Neilstown, Dublin
Members of the Gardai at Chaplain Terrace following the shooting in Neilstown, Dublin

Ken Foy and Conor Feehan

A local man saved the life of a shooting victim by stopping two gunmen who were chasing and attempting to further attack their target.

Craig Carroll (30), from Clondalkin, Dublin, was shot once in an attack in Neilstown, west Dublin, at around 10.45pm on Sunday.

He was recovering from his non-life-threatening injuries in Tallaght Hospital last night.

The scene of the attack is yards from where innocent Dean Johnson (21) was shot dead in a case of mistaken identity in August 2013, one of a series of unsolved gun homicides in that area in recent years.

Gardaí are investigating whether a bitter disagreement was the motive behind the gun attack.

Carroll has links to a criminal grouping who have been involved in a nationwide wave of gang violence, including murder, torture, drug dealing and intimidation.

However, he has never been convicted in relation to any of these offences and has never received a jail sentence of more than 11 months.

Carroll was shot once, in the Harelawn area, and ran to the front of the nearby Chaplain's Terrace complex for help.

He banged on the door of a house there and the resident let him in. The victim then ran up the stairs and locked himself into a room there.

It is believed the resident, who did not know what was going on, followed the victim up the stairs but then noticed two men in dark clothing trying to get into the house. He blocked their way and they fled the scene.

The victim was treated at the scene by the emergency services and taken to Tallaght Hospital. Gardaí sealed off the scene and a forensic examination by members of the Garda Technical Bureau took place yesterday.

"I could hear the fireworks but then different noises that sounded to me like gunfire, and then I heard a woman screaming," said one local resident. Gardaí from Ronanstown station are investigating the incident and no arrests have been made so far.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News