Sunday 22 April 2018

Shooting victim was due to testify in criminal trial

Darren Cogan: died shortly after pub shooting
Darren Cogan: died shortly after pub shooting

Tom Brady and  Shane Hickey

GARDAI believe a 22-year-old man who was shot in the latest gun death in the capital was killed because he was due to give evidence in an upcoming criminal trial.

Darren Cogan, from Bluebell Avenue in Dublin, was gunned down and another man injured in the Black Horse Inn, Inchicore, in the early hours of Saturday morning.

It is understood that the gunman shouted "where's the rat?" as he ran into the pub before singling out his victim and opening fire.

Detectives think the the gunman is linked to one of the feuding gangs operating in the south city area.

Mr Cogan and a 21-year-old friend were at the bar when the gunman came in and fired off a number of shots.

Mr Cogan was killed and his friend was injured as a result of the shooting.

When the gunman finished firing in the pub, he walked outside and across Tyrconnell Road.

He then turned and fired a number of shots back at the pub. However, no one else was hurt as a result.

Gardai said it was not known what direction the gunman then took when he made his escape.

Mr Cogan was hit in the upper body and died shortly after the incident.

His friend was shot in the stomach and was brought to St James's Hospital for treatment.

His injuries are not said to be life-threatening.

Just over an hour before the fatal shooting, gardai said there was a separate incident involving firearms at the same pub.

A red car drove into the car park at around 11.10pm on Friday and two armed men got out and entered the bar.

Gardai said they appeared to be looking for a number of individuals.


They then left the premises and drove away in the direction of Bluebell. No shots were fired in this earlier incident.

Gardai arrived at the scene shortly after the shooting and the area was sealed off for a technical examination.

Anyone who has information on the shooting has been asked to contact the garda confidential line at 1800 666 111.

Over the last seven weeks, five people have been shot dead.

Just under two weeks ago, Eddie Flanagan (49), from Primrose Grove in Coolock, died after he was shot twice in the head with an automatic pistol.

Shortly before that, a senior Continuity IRA figure called Liam Kenny was killed in west Dublin.

Gardai believe the shooting was directly linked to clashes with local drug traffickers, which erupted last February and have continued since then.

At the beginning of this month, father-of-four Michael Taylor (53) was shot dead outside his holiday home in north Co Dublin.

He died after being shot at least six times with a handgun as a result of what is thought to have been a row that erupted in the inner city between two groups about four years ago.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News