News Irish News

Friday 15 November 2019

Seven quizzed in murder hunt roundup

Tom Brady and Barry Duggan

A MOTHER and two sons are among seven suspects being questioned by gardai about the murder of Shane Rossiter, who was shot dead in a rural village.

Gardai believe Mr Rossiter (30) fell foul of a Clonmel-based gang over a personal row and possibly a debt. He was shot when he opened the front door of house where he was staying at Church Lane in Golden, Co Tipperary, on October 17.

The seven suspects – five men and two women – were rounded up in garda raids yesterday – six of them in Clonmel and one in Ballymacarbry, located between Clonmel and Dungarvan. They were all being questioned last night at garda stations in Cahir, Waterford, Clonmel, Tipperary and Thurles and range in age from early 20s to early 40s.

They are being held under section 30 of the Offences Against the State and can be detained for up to three days.

Gardai also seized a quantity of mobile phones and computers in searches of their homes.

Mr Rossiter had been staying in the house with a Dublin man, Paul "Poncho" McCarthy, who had received a death threat a few weeks previously and had moved from Crumlin to escape the gangs in the capital.

The threat is thought to have been issued by criminals responsible for the murder of Mr McCarthy's close friend, Declan O'Reilly, who was shot dead in front of his son in Dublin in September.

Also staying in the Golden house at the time were another man and two women.

Three of them went to answer a knock at the front door at around 6.45am and the gunman fired two shots.

Mr Rossiter, who was originally from Clonmel, was hit in the chest and fell to the ground as the gunman jumped into an Audi car, driven by an accomplice, and sped away. The Audi was later recovered near Ballymacarbry village.

The victim is the brother of Brian Rossiter, who was 14 when he died three days after being found unconscious in a cell at Clonmel garda station a decade ago.

Shane Rossiter had built up a string of criminal convictions before moving to Australia. He was deported from Australia and arrived home in August. He stayed in Dublin for several weeks before moving back to Clonmel.

Meanwhile, the two-storey house where the murder took place has been put up for sale with local auctioneers.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News