Thursday 26 April 2018

Serial rapist sparks alarm after being spotted in UCD

Convicted rapist Michael Murray pictured on Nutley Road, Mount Merrion.
Convicted rapist Michael Murray pictured on Nutley Road, Mount Merrion.
Conor Feehan

Conor Feehan

Serial rapist Michael Murray has been spotted strolling through UCD and surrounds, sparking alarm among students and locals.

The sex offender takes early-morning walks in UCD near the lake and the entrance beside the Stillorgan dual carriageway.

Murray was jailed in 1996 for raping four women and sexually assaulting two others in south Dublin during a six-day reign of terror in September 1995.

His presence is causing concern among people using the UCD campus in Belfield as he walks the grounds on a regular basis.

A number of people who recognised him contacted this newspaper to express concern for their safety and also to alert others who have no idea of his dangerous past.

On one morning, the rapist walked down the Stillorgan Road, into Nutley Park, out onto Nutley Lane, and then into Nutley Road.

When told people had phoned this newspaper to tell of their fears for their safety in his presence, Murray (50) replied: "So?".

When asked if he could understand why people would consider him a potential threat he said: "Well, look at what ye print in the papers".

Murray looked fit and healthy and was dressed in jeans and trainers, a pale blue polo shirt and a dark quilted jacket with a zip front. He has now grown a beard and wears glasses.

At his trial, two of his victims told the Central Criminal Court that they thought they were going to die.

The first attacks took place in Dalkey, Killiney and Monkstown, but his next victim was in Rathmines, where he attacked and stabbed a girl.

Murray was eventually sentenced to 18 years, but with standard remission he served only 13.

Eighteen months before his rape conviction, Murray received a four-month sentence for indecently exposing himself to a five-year-old girl and a three-year-old boy after walking into the back garden of a house in Dún Laoghaire. After his release from that sentence, he returned to the house in Sallynoggin where he lived with his mother.

Senior detectives expressed major concern when he was once again freed to prowl the streets after his release from jail in 2009.

One officer with extensive knowledge of Murray said he would classify him "equally as dangerous" as notorious fellow rapist Larry Murphy. Like Murphy, Murray refused to take part in any rehabilitation programmes during his jail term.

In June 2010, he went to the High Court to complain about media coverage of him, but the court refused to grant him an injunction preventing newspapers from publishing his address and pictures of him.

Murray said in his affidavit that he had attended a psychologist while in Wheatfield and Castlerea prisons and had stopped using drugs and alcohol.

He said he engaged with the probation service before and after his release and obtained its help in getting accommodation.

He is now believed to be still living in an apartment near UCD where he has complained about student neighbours having parties.

The 'Herald' previously reported how Murray left neighbours feeling threatened and intimidated. Students living in a southside apartment complex were left terrified after Murray began "banging down doors" to complain over noise.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News