Friday 24 May 2019

Separate road accidents claim lives of teen cyclist and talented darts player

Photo: Stock Image
Photo: Stock Image

Conor Feehan and Seán Ryan

The teenage cyclist who died on Saturday following a traffic accident in Straffan, Co Kildare, earlier in the week has been named locally as Shane Duggan (16).

Shane, from Turnings, in Straffan, was rushed to Beaumont Hospital in Dublin with serious head injuries following the collision at Oughterard in Straffan at 4.50pm last Tuesday.

The driver of the car, a woman in her 40s, was not injured.

A Garda investigation into the collision is under way.

Gardaí in Nenagh are also investigating a fatal single- vehicle crash near Portroe, north Tipperary, in the early hours of yesterday.

The fatal crash happened at a bend in the road near Castlelough, just outside the village of Portroe.

It is understood that the accident was only discovered by a passing motorist around 8am on Sunday.

The victim has been named locally as Joe Lawlor, a single man from Portroe.

Mr Lawlor was a prominent member of Seymour's Bar and Darts Club in Portroe and was described as an excellent darts player.

Last night, the club paid tribute to him on Facebook.

The victim is believed to have been just a few hundred metres from his home when the incident happened.

The road near Portroe was closed for a number of hours as forensic gardaí from Limerick city investigated the tragic incident.

Local diversions were in place for a number of hours.

The accident is the eighth fatality on the roads of Tipperary this year.

Local Fianna Fáil councillor John Carroll paid tribute to Mr Lawlor and expressed his sincere sympathy to the family.

Another local wrote on Facebook: "Terrible news, lads. A big loss. One lovely bloke. RIP Joe.''

Gardaí in Nenagh have asked anyone who witnessed the accident to contact them on (067) 50457.

Meanwhile, the office of the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission is investigating an accident involving a Garda car and a pedestrian in Dublin city centre in the early hours of yesterday.

The incident occurred shortly after 12.30am on Cuffe Street, near St Stephen's Green. Gardaí from Pearse Street garda station attended the scene.

The 33-year-old man involved was taken to St James's Hospital in Dublin, where his injuries have been described as non-life-threatening.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News