Second teen boy remanded in custody charged with the murder of Ana (14)
A second boy has been charged with the murder of Lucan teenager Ana Kriegel last May.
The boy (13), who cannot be named because he is under 18, is accused of the murder of 14-year-old Anastasia Kriegel at Glenwood House, Laraghcon, Clonee Road, Lucan, Dublin, on May 14.
He was remanded in custody to appear again on Wednesday.
Anastasia, known as Ana, left her home in Leixlip, Co Kildare, at about 5pm on May 14, but she did not return. Her body was found at a disused farmhouse three days later.
The young boy, dressed in a pink hooded top, dark blue jeans and black trainers, appeared before Judge John O'Connor at the Dublin Children's Court yesterday morning. He sat on the defendants' bench close to his mother, who was seated beside his solicitor David Powderly.
Judge O'Connor asked him if it was his first time in court? "Yes," the boy replied.
Detective Sergeant Damien Gannon gave evidence of his arrest and being charged.
He told Judge O'Connor the boy was arrested at his home at 8.15am yesterday and taken to Lucan garda station where he was charged. Det Sgt Gannon said the boy "made no reply to the charge after caution".
Judge O'Connor said that due to the nature of the charge the Children's Court did not have jurisdiction to rule on the issue of bail. Legal aid was granted.
Judge O'Connor asked Det Sgt Gannon if the special directions, necessary due to the boy's age, had been obtained from the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP)?
Det Sgt Gannon said: "The DPP has given them."
Once it was confirmed there was a space to hold the boy, Judge O'Connor remanded him in custody to the Oberstown detention centre. He allowed the boy's mother to spend time with her son before he was transferred.
Another boy, also aged 13, had already been remanded in custody on May 25 after he was charged with the schoolgirl's murder.
There has been no indication yet as to how either boy intends to plead.