Second post-mortems delay funerals of tragic fire family
THE Irish-based Muslim doctor whose whole family were wiped out in a Leicester house fire will not be able to bury his wife and three children for at least another 10 days.
Dr Muhammad Taufiq Al Sattar, right, said funerals cannot be held until second post-mortems, now due to take place on October 8, are carried out on his wife Shehnila Taufiq (47), daughter Zainab (19) and two sons Bilal (17) and Jamal (15).
A spokesperson for Leicestershire Police told the Irish Independent follow-up post- mortems were common in criminal cases where fatalities have occurred.
An 18-year-old male has already been charged with murder over the fire and further arrests have also been made in connection with the deaths. A 19-year-old man remains in police custody after his arrest on Thursday.
Dr Taufiq, who lived in Castleknock in Dublin 15, normally spent three weekends out of four with his family in Leicester.
The family were due to return to Ireland after completing their Islamic studies in Leicester. The neurosurgeon had already acquired land to construct a mosque which his sons would run, and yesterday told BBC Radio 4 that he did not know when he would be able to bury the four family members.
The burials are due to take place in Ireland, where he said he would continue to live and practise his faith.
Dr Taufiq said the past two weeks had been "extremely difficult" for him, but added his faith in Islam had given him "strength".
Dr Taufiq said he was "delighted" that community relations had remained peaceful in Leicester since the fire.