Second investigation launched into death of woman at Galway hotel
A SECOND investigation has been launched into the death of a hotel guest in Connemara.
Following an assessment of the Connemara Lake Hotel yesterday, the Health and Safety Authority has now launched a full investigation into the sudden death.
The investigations are now expected to centre on whether carbon monoxide played a part in the death.
Betty Harrington (64) from Donoughmore, Cork was found dead in her Galway hotel bedroom on Monday morning.
Her heartbroken family are now planning her funeral.
The much loved grandmother is survived by her husband Donal, children Debbie, Jennifer, Donna, Daniel and Anne, five grandchildren and extended family.
A funeral mass for the mother-of-five will be held on Friday at St Lachteen’s Church, Stuake. It will be followed by a private cremation.
Ms Harrington was fondly remembered by all her family and her friends in the Bishopstown walking club and her set dancing friends.
The 64-year-old has been on a walking holiday with her club with members climbing the Maamturks and the Twelve Bens mountain ranges in Connemara over the Bank Holiday Weekend.
She was found dead in her room in the Connemara Lake Hotel at around 11.30am on Monday. Her body was removed to University Hospital Galway where a post mortem examination was carried out yesterday.
The hotel was later evacuated after a number of guests reported feeling unwell. Two guests attended the emergency department at University Hospital Galway for tests.
It is understood that gardai will be speaking to these guests as part of their inquiries.
The hotel remains closed and a number of examinations continue to be carried out.
A spokesperson for the Health and Safety Authority confirmed that it had launched a full investigation following an initial assessment yesterday.
He added that the HSA would not be making any further comment while the investigation was ongoing.
Sources confirmed that one line of inquiry being probed across the two investigations is whether the incident could have been as a result of a carbon monoxide leak.
Gardai in Salthill, who are investigating the death are now awaiting the results of toxicology tests which may take a number of weeks.
A statement on the hotel website confirmed it would remain closed until further notice.
“The Connemara Lake Hotel confirms that a guest tragically passed away while staying in the Hotel over the weekend. The Hotel is closed until further notice while an investigation takes place by the Garda Síochána.”
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the deceased, their family and friends,” it read.