Sunday 21 January 2018

Second house sealed off in double murder probe

Slain: Jolanta Lubiene and her daughter Enrika
Slain: Jolanta Lubiene and her daughter Enrika
Majella O'Sullivan

Majella O'Sullivan

GARDAI have sealed off a second house in Killorglin, Co Kerry as part of their ongoing investigation into the double murder of a mother and daughter.

The house at Ardmoneil Heights was sealed off earlier today, following the arrest of a man shortly before 6am.

The house is about 1km away from the rented property shared by Jolanta Lubiene (27) and her eight-year-old daughter Enrika at Langford Downs in the town.

Meanwhile, a 26-year-old man is being detained by gardai on suspicion of the double murder of Ms Lubiene and her daughter on June 16.

The man, who is Lithuanian, was arrested at the house in Ardmoneil shortly before 6am this morning.

He is being held at Killarney Garda Station under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act and can be held for 24 hours initially, though this period can be extended.

This is the second arrest that has been made by gardai in their investigation of the murder.

A Lithuanian man in his 40s was arrested at his Killorglin home on Sunday on suspicion of withholding information.

He was released on Monday night without charge, but a file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Ms Lubiene and her daughter were found murdered at the home they shared at Langford Downs about 1km from Killorglin town centre on June 16 at 8.30pm.

The brutal murders have shocked the Co Kerry town where there has been a huge outpouring of grief and ongoing fundraising efforts by local people to help the family repatriate their bodies to their native Lithuania.

Their remains have not yet been released.

A Lithuanian friend of the tragic mother raised the alarm after she called to the house that Sunday evening.

Friends had grown concerned when they had been unable to make contact with her by phone.

Ms Lubiene died from multiple stab wounds while her little daughter was found dead on the upstairs landing with a stab wound to the neck.

They had been planning their return to Lithuania next month. Ms Lubiene's husband, Marius Lubys (29) returned from Sweden, where he had been working on a farm, last Monday after being informed of his wife and daughter's murders the previous day.

He had been sharing the Langford Downs home with them up until December when he left to pursue work in Sweden.

The couple had been living in Ireland since 2005. Enrika attended Scoil Mhuire in the town where she received her First Holy Communion on May 4.

Ms Lubiene worked as a chef at St Joseph's Nursing Home just outside the town.

She was last seen on Saturday afternoon walking down Langford Street on her way home after doing some shopping.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News