Friday 23 August 2019

Search to find who named killers

Ana Kriegel (Photo: RTE)
Ana Kriegel (Photo: RTE)

Robin Schiller and Laura Lynott

Gardaí are probing a large number of social media accounts as they investigate the people who published material online identifying Ana Kriegel's murderers.

No arrests have yet been made as part of the investigation which is being led by detectives at Lucan garda station.

Officers are trawling through a large amount of material which includes alleged names, addresses and images of Boy A and Boy B.

In some instances, usernames of social media accounts were attached to images shared of the two boys.

Gardaí are attempting to establish those connected to these accounts to determine if they were responsible for posting the material.

Sources say that the primary focus of the probe is to identify the people who initially published material online which identified the youths, rather than people who later shared these posts.

Images have been circulated on various social media accounts claiming to show the two convicted killers.

The identification of a child in court proceedings can result in a maximum jail term of three years, or a fine of up to €10,000.

The Central Criminal Court heard this week the family of Boy B were forced to flee their home, while one innocent youth was wrongly identified as being one of Ana Kriegel's killers.

Online material identifying, or claiming to identify the two juveniles has been taken down by Facebook and Twitter since the convictions, the court also heard.

On Tuesday, the two 14-year-old boys were convicted of the murder of Ana Kriegel on May 14, 2018 at Glenwood House in Lucan.

Boy A was also convicted of aggravated sexual assault.

Names purporting to identify the parents of one of the youths, which are understood to be incorrect, have also been circulated on social media but were later removed.

Twitter has said it is continuing to liaise with gardaí and the DPP in relation to what the company described as a "sensitive case".

It is using software to counteract the issue.

"Using our own purpose-built technology, we have removed the content from the service over the past number of days," a spokesperson for Twitter said.

Targeted

"Our teams are also running targeted searches in an effort to identify and swiftly remove material which violates the court order and Twitter Rules," they added.

It is understood no formal complaint has yet been made to gardaí by either the parents of the two 14-year-olds, or their legal representatives, in relation to online material.

Detectives in Lucan are continuing their investigation and are expected to have the assistance of Garda national units, including the Garda Cyber Crime Unit and the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation, at their disposal.

Gardaí in Lucan also led the meticulous investigation into the murder which resulted in the convictions earlier this week.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News