| 14°C Dublin

Scot who brutally killed debt-collector mum gets life

A 61-YEAR-OLD Scotsman was jailed for life at the Central Criminal Court in Dublin yesterday after he was convicted of the murder of a Waterford mother-of-two.

The jury took three hours to return their unanimous guilty verdict on the murder charge.

Mr Justice Barry White sentenced Jennings, who showed no emotion to the mandatory sentence of life imprisonment.

During the trial, the court heard Mrs Walsh, a loan company agent, was killed for the money she was due to lodge in the bank.

The jury heard that Mary 'Mamie' Walsh (54) had sustained nine head injuries that caused significant damage to her skull and brain. She was found covered in a bloodstained sheet with a piece of rope around her neck, which also contributed to her death.

Samuel Jennings (61) was due to meet Mrs Walsh on August 30, 2004, and after this he saw a significant improvement in his financial condition, with lodgments in bank accounts associated with him.

Samuel Jennings, previously of Ashtown, Kilmacthomas, Co Waterford, had pleaded not guilty to murdering Mary Walsh of Glendalligan, Kilrossanty, Co Waterford, between August 30 and September 1, 2004.

Her body was found in the boot of a car on August 31.

Mamie Walsh worked as an agent for Provident Personal Credit Ltd, and had to lodge the loan repayments she collected. Samuel Jennings worked for Provident Personal Credit Ltd briefly and was also a client. Mrs Walsh had given him training for the job.

The jury heard that at the time of the killing Samuel Jennings was in serious financial difficulty.

Daily Digest Newsletter

Get ahead of the day with the morning headlines at 7.30am and Fionnán Sheahan's exclusive take on the day's news every afternoon, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

Jennings had said he was in Dun Laoghaire when he was not and that he said he was in Belgium on his way to Holland when he was still in Ireland. Peadar 'Paddy' Walsh, the deceased woman's husband, told the jury that his wife had been working at home all day on August 29. She had the blue lodgement bag ready to bring to the bank the next morning. The next day he tried to phone Mrs Walsh at around 4pm but failed to contact her. When she did not return home as usual the family began to worry.

At about 7pm Mr Walsh went to see a local garda to report his wife missing.

Mr Walsh described how he and his nephew, on August 31, drove to the Jennings house with two gardai and searched the grounds with torches. Mr Walsh had been "afraid she could be maybe tied up inside."

State Pathologist Dr Marie Cassidy told the court that Mrs Walsh died from severe head injuries caused by multiple blows with a blunt object.

Mamie Walsh's fully-clothed body was found in the boot of her car on August 31, 2004. The cause of death was blunt trauma damage.

Most Watched