A dangerous "blame game" over the seizure of €50,000 has broken out between members of the McCarthy-Dundon gang and the Maguire faction suspected of ordering the murder of Robbie Lawlor.
Sources said both sides were "blaming each other" for gardaí seizing the cash from two women who are part of the notorious McCarthy-Dundon gang from Limerick.
The women were released without charge from Portlaoise Garda Station on Tuesday after being questioned in relation to money-laundering offences. It is believed the seized €50,000 was paid to the Limerick mob by the Maguire faction for their involvement in Lawlor's murder.
"The McCarthy-Dundons will want their cash and they are saying that they have been set up for the big seizure," a source said.
"If the situation between the two gangs who previously had close links to each other is not resolved quickly, it could lead to a feud within a feud.
"Already a blame game has broken out between the two organisations over the money that was seized by gardaí."
The leader of the Maguire faction, Owen Maguire, was left paralysed after being shot multiple times in July 2008 outside his Drogheda home.
It is suspected that attempted murder was carried out by Robbie Lawlor, who himself was shot dead last weekend in Belfast.
"The Maguire gang have been subject to every kind of surveillance for a long time now and there are informants in that camp as well," a source said.
"Gardaí have a very good handle on their activities and this may well be why that money was seized on Monday."
Apart from the €50,000 in cash, gardaí are investigating reports that a kilogram of cocaine, with a street value of €70,000, was given to the McCarthy-Dundon gang for their involvement in Lawlor's murder.
The revelations come as the PSNI continues to question a 36-year-old Belfast drug-dealer who is suspected of being the gunman in the murder of Lawlor on Saturday.
Sources said this criminal owed €30,000 to associates of the Maguire gang and the debt was "wiped out" for his involvement.
He was arrested on Tuesday night at a house in the Ardoyne area of Belfast, close to where Lawlor was gunned down.
A property raided in Strathroy Park is the third house to be raided as part of the investigation.
However the murder weapon has not yet been recovered.
Tuesday night's arrest was the fifth made as part of the murder investigation.
Three other men - aged 33, 30, and 27 - and a boy aged 17 were previously questioned, but have since been released without charge.