Revealed: Inside the new apartments on Priory Hall site
A new era for notorious fire-trap complex Priory Hall got under way yesterday as show apartments for the €30m redeveloped site were opened to the public.
Five years after it was condemned by fire inspectors and evacuated by court order, the north Dublin apartment development - synonymous with the worst excesses of light-touch regulation during the Celtic Tiger era - is back on the market.
The first phase of the massive redevelopment by Dublin City Council is now complete, with 43 one and two-bedroom apartments and duplexes on offer from €145,000.
Show apartments for the redeveloped site, now known as New Priory, will be on view from today until Sunday.
The new apartments located on Hole in the Wall Road in north Dublin are aimed at the first-time buyer market, according to auctioneer Hooke and MacDonald.
"New Priory, formerly Priory Hall, has undergone massive refurbishment, with the building structure having been completely stripped back and rebuilt into desirable, high-quality, safety-assured residential units," said auctioneer David Cantwell.
"The New Priory apartments are a credit to Dublin City Council and the whole project team. They represent an excellent opportunity for first-time buyers and other owner-occupiers to acquire a most attractive home in a popular residential location close to numerous amenities."
Prices start at €145,000 for a one-bedroom apartment, €165,000 for a two-bedroom apartment and €195,000 for large two-bedroom duplex apartments.
The new complex has been completely transformed, with "high-performance insulation, fire-stopping, newly laid footpaths, roads and parking areas, new roofing, new walls and windows and fully fitted bathrooms and kitchens with new appliances".
Crucially, the complex features state-of-the-art new fire detection systems, with emergency lighting, automatic smoke ventilation and fire fighting equipment.
The original complex, built in 2007 by developer and former IRA hunger striker Tom McFeely, was condemned by fire inspectors and evacuated by court order in 2011 as a fire safety hazard.