Tuesday 24 October 2017

Retail chain insists car seat 'safe' after baby's tragic death

Michael McHale

THE retail chain that sold a baby seat fitted to a car which crashed, leaving a seven-month-old girl with fatal injuries, has said the product is safe.

A spokeswoman for Argos said the UK-based retailer is looking into the circumstances surrounding the death of little Hannah McNevin-Best in March last year.

An inquest into the death heard that the restraining point, or lug, at the back of the car seat failed in the impact.

One of the flaps had become detached, the inquest heard.

After a verdict of accidental death was returned by the jury, Dublin City Coroner Dr Brian Farrell pledged to track down the manufacturers of the seat.



Checks

In a statement seen by the Irish Independent, the company revealed the brand as the Graco Century Travel System car seat.

"We would like to offer our heartfelt sympathy to the (McNevin-Best) family," the statement read, adding that the seat had gone through rigorous safety checks and it was the first time that any such issue has arisen in relation to the item.

"We are looking into the matter to try and understand the full circumstances of the incident. In the meantime, we remain satisfied that the product is safe and fit for purpose," the company said.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News