Tuesday 23 January 2018

Residents raised safety fears before

He said Moore's father was disgusted and mortified by his son's behaviour but was still in court to support him. Stock picture
He said Moore's father was disgusted and mortified by his son's behaviour but was still in court to support him. Stock picture

Residents of a flat complex where a blaze broke out had previously raised concerns about fire escape routes, it has been claimed.

Gardaí are investigating the fire at the Tyrone Place block in Inchicore, south Dublin, which left one woman, two boys, aged 12 and 8, and a seven-year-old girl injured.

Local councillor Greg Kelly said that residents had previously shared fears over fire safety as well as complaints of damp at the complex built in the 1950s.

"There's only really one stairway to get out and down from the apartments," he said. "I have spoken to residents and that is something which had come up, it would have been raised in local meetings and that kind of thing."

Dublin City Council declined to respond to specific enquires from the Irish Independent about whether there were fire safety concerns at the complex, whether fire safety there had been reviewed recently, or whether it had a fire safety certificate.

"Dublin City Council cannot comment at this time as this matter is the subject of a Garda investigation," it said.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News