Residents of a homeless hostel where two women died and two men were left ill after taking what is suspected to have been fake Xanax tablets have spoken of their horror.
Tragic teenager Amy Mannix (19), originally from Co Kerry, died on Monday morning.
Her death came less than 24 hours after Angela Andrea Kelly (44), originally from Portlaoise, Co Laois, was found unresponsive in her room at Clonamore House in Tullamore, Co Offaly.
One male resident, Aaron Ging (23), is fighting for his life in hospital, while John O'Brien (32), the partner of Ms Mannix, is expected to make a recovery.
Gardaí are investigating the possibility that another homeless man may have died last week in Tullamore having taken the same toxic black-market tablets.
A resident of Clonamore House described the horrific scenes that unfolded on the premises and revealed that another resident overheard Ms Kelly struggling for breath.
"The whole thing was terrible. I don't know what to make of it at all. Nobody can believe what has happened," they said.
"On Sunday at 2.30pm the ambulance arrived and a doctor just a minute later. They all came rushing in, but she [Angela Kelly] was dead unfortunately at that stage.
"The guards arrived shortly after that. So we knew something bad had happened.
"Then the hearse arrived about an hour later.
"It's very sad. I was talking to a young lad and I asked him did he hear the woman or was she looking for help or anything.
"He said she was making peculiar noises. But he really didn't know what to do. He was sort of terrified," said the individual.
"Everyone has their door locked in there. It's how people mind themselves. You would never really go to another person's room.
"The owners are the only ones with keys, so they are the only ones who can get into the rooms. It's awful sad."
The resident said that everyone was still reeling from the shock of Ms Kelly's death when tragedy struck again.
"The next day at around 8.30am on Monday the ambulance arrived again and then the hearse.
"It was shocking.
"She was a very young girl, it was terrible.
"Then a little while later another ambulance arrived and picked up the two boys and raced off. At that point, you were kind of thinking when is this going to end?
"We didn't know what was going on. They were all very young people and it was absolutely shocking.
"And it's awful thinking so much tragedy happened in this one place. It's not a bad place.
"They are nice people that own it. They are very upset about all this too."
Another resident described the scene on Monday as "like a bad dream".
"It felt like a horror movie. When you are that age your life could have turned out very differently," they said.
"I just saw her remains leaving and the thoughts of that happening to one of my own kids hit me. It's so wrong.
"Your heart would really go out to her and her family."
Gardaí believe the counterfeit medication, which is still being analysed, was bought online. Investigations into the deaths are ongoing.