News Irish News

Saturday 16 December 2017

Residents flee apartments as fallen barbeque sparks blaze

Dublin fire brigade tend to a fire at the Verdemont apartments in Blanchardstown
Dublin fire brigade tend to a fire at the Verdemont apartments in Blanchardstown

Ian Begley

A barbeque that fell over is believed to have caused of an apartment fire that left residents running for their lives.

Dublin Fire Brigade were called to the scene at the Verdemont Apartment on Snugborough Road, Blanchardstown, West Dublin at approximately 5.10pm yesterday.

Locals living within the complex claimed that the cause of the fire was due to the flames of a resident's barbeque falling into his home on the fourth floor.

The blaze quickly spread to the adjoining homes causing damage to the inside.

Taylor Thompson and Brycen Cluster
Taylor Thompson and Brycen Cluster

Reports have also suggested that the apartments on the bottom floor were damaged by water as the fire services extinguished the flames.

Americans Brycen Cluster and his roommate Taylor Thompson from Utah said that their home was one of those destroyed by the blaze.

"We were living in the flat next door to the apartment that initially caught fire and heard a big bang and kids screaming outside.

"We then walked to our window and saw the flames. We grabbed our shoes and managed to leave, but sadly didn't manage to take any of our possessions with us."

Resident Christina Farrell
Resident Christina Farrell

The two 19-year-olds have been living in Ireland for two years and said a lot of possessions with sentimental value have been destroyed.

"We had a lot of family photos and personal things that are now gone.

"It's still sinking in to be honest, but I suppose it's out of our control. At this stage there's nothing we can do. We have to just move on," Brycen said.

Christina Farrell, a resident who lives near the affected apartments, said she was able to help alert her neighbours to the fire.

"I was getting ready for the gym, and when I came outside I saw a man on a balcony trying to put the fire out with a glass of water.

"I then rang the fire brigade and they asked me what the situation was and how bad it was. They said just alert everyone and get them out.

"I went inside [the burning apartment building] and started knocking on doors telling people to evacuate. By the time we got to the top floor there was so much smoke that it was hard to see so we had to get out of there.

Traffic diversions around the complex remained in place last night. There were no reports of any injuries.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News