Rent row mayhem: Tenants to leave after 'sum of money' paid following violent stand-off
The occupants of a rented house which was at the centre of a violent stand-off involving planks and poles were expected to vacate the property today.
According to the owner, a sum of money was paid to reach a deal for them to leave.
There were scenes of mayhem when a row between the occupants and the owners of the house spiralled out of control on Sunday afternoon.
Dublin Fire Brigade were called to the house on South Circular Road, Rialto, in the early hours of Sunday morning when a wheelie bin that had been pushed up against the front door was set alight, resulting in two people being taken to hospital suffering smoke inhalation.
But when the owner arrived on Sunday afternoon to board up the house, the occupants refused to move out.
Gardai had to intervene after the occupants, who stripped to the waist and became extremely angry, were pushed out of the house.
They picked up lengths of timber from the garden and ran at the owner and his associates, forcing them to retreat back into the entrance for protection.
At one point, one of the men who was living in the house was seen standing face-to-face with an associate of the landlord, challenging him angrily to "do something" while holding two pieces of timber.
One woman who was with the house-owner cowered in fear as an occupant ran towards her swinging a plank of wood over his head.
In between sporadic scuffles, the row was interspersed with verbal abuse and insults - with one of the occupants challenging the associates of the owner to fight with him.
The heat was taken out of the situation when gardai were called to the scene.
While no arrests were made gardai warned both sides to keep to the peace, and on Sunday evening the owner was instructed to put a new lock on the front door and give the occupants a key.
The situation was resolved yesterday when the occupants agreed to leave the badly damaged house.
They insisted they were owed their deposit back, but the owner told the Herald the occupants were the ones that owed him money in rent.
In the end a deal was agreed where the occupants "were given a sum of money to leave".
"I just want to get back into the property and begin the repairs following the fire. It is the second fire at the house since July."
Garda sources said the row at the house is not under investigation and was dealt with on the day.
Once the house is vacant, the owner is set to begin a major refurbishment to repair the fire damage.
Dublin Fire Brigade reported on its Twitter account that five people had to be rescued from the house when the fire broke out on Sunday, and two were admitted to hospital.
It was hours later that the row broke out after the owner and his associates called to the house.