Relatives at a loss as to how 20-year-old man died
HEARTBROKEN relatives of a 20-year-old man who collapsed after attending Saturday's concert in Phoenix Park say they have "no answers" as to how he died.
Lee Scanlon was discovered on his own in an unconscious state during the concert and taken to Connolly Hospital, where he later died.
Speaking to the Irish Independent yesterday from the family home in Clonsilla, Dublin, relatives said they had "no answers" as to how Mr Scanlon died, but knew something wasn't right when he hadn't returned home as planned on Saturday night.
"We haven't heard anything from anyone, we're completely in the dark," said his aunt, Terry.
"He met a group of female friends at the concert. They were all together at the start but at some stage during the night they lost each other in the huge crowd.
"They say it was a heart attack but we haven't a clue what happened. We genuinely don't know if drugs were involved but I'd doubt it very much."
She said the family were frantically ringing hospitals looking for news.
"It was very unlike him not to come home. We knew there was something seriously wrong when there was no sign of him on Sunday.
"We rang hospitals looking to see if he had been brought in. His father got a call and went down to the hospital to identify the body yesterday evening."
A talented footballer, Mr Scanlon had trials with Shelbourne football club during his teens, before pursuing a career as a chef.
"He was passionate about food and worked as a commis chef. We all work in events catering and he was working part-time with us. He was planning a year out to travel to Australia."
Lee's parents, Leo and Janet, along with his two sisters, were too upset to comment last night.
"He was a loving son to his mother and father and he idolised them both. Everyone is devastated and it's something we'll never get over," Terry added.