Wednesday 19 June 2019

Rehab gets extra €2m in funding after threatening to close all its care services

Mo Flynn, the CEO of Rehab
Mo Flynn, the CEO of Rehab
Ian Begley

Ian Begley

The Government has agreed to provide an extra €2m in funding to the Rehab Group after it threatened to shut down its entire care services due to financial difficulties.

The group and its board of directors confirmed last night that it had reached an agreement with Health Minister Simon Harris and Disability Minister Finian McGrath to plug the funding shortfall.

Rehab Group CEO Mo Flynn said without this extra funding the future of its life-changing supports would be at risk.

"We welcome the fact that we have reached a resolution and that we can now continue to provide these vital services to the people who rely on them," said Ms Flynn.

"The news will come as an enormous relief to the people in our services, their families and our dedicated staff who have worked so hard to campaign for the continuation of their services."

In a move which ramped up pressure on the Government, earlier this month, the group warned it would have to send out a notification giving a year's notice of its decision to terminate all care contracts.

However, last night the group said it had secured an additional €2m this year to fund its care services following a meeting with the ministers.

It said in a statement: "Rehab Group and its board are deeply relieved that these critical care services for more than 3,000 people throughout 117 locations can now continue to be provided.

"Without RehabCare, the future of these life-changing supports would be at risk."

Rehab Group was at the centre of controversy in recent years with particular focus on the €240,000 salary of its former CEO Angela Kerins.

She was succeeded by Ms Flynn, who took a salary of €140,000 - a sum on a par with other charity chiefs.

Its 2017 accounts showed 12 staff earned more than €100,000.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News