Recruits angry at last-minute change to graduation plans
The latest group of Garda recruits who are due to graduate are furious after ceremony plans were changed at the last minute, allegedly to accommodate Tánaiste and Justice Minister Frances Fitzgerald.
More than 100 gardaí were due to 'pass out' on April 20, but were informed by the Garda College on Monday that this had been pushed back until April 24 to suit Ms Fitzgerald's schedule.
A source said that new recruits had lost out on "thousands of euro" after being forced to change and cancel holiday and celebration plans as a result.
Some family members and friends are also understood to have booked flights from overseas to attend the ceremony. Now, due to the change of date, some people will no longer be able to attend.
The change of date was reportedly at the request of the Tánaiste, who could not attend on April 20. However, a spokesperson for the Justice Minister told the Irish Independent that the scheduling of the ceremony was a matter for the Garda.
The brief statement read: "The scheduling of the ceremony is a matter for An Garda Síochána."
The passing-out ceremony traditionally celebrates the end of training for Garda recruits.
Attendance at the ceremony is compulsory as Garda recruits are required to sign an oath.
They are also officially presented with their badge.