News Irish News

Tuesday 19 November 2019

Rapist due for release kept in custody until he enters into bond

Trevor Byrne
Trevor Byrne

Fiona Ferguson and Jessica Magee

A convicted rapist who was due to be released from prison this week has been kept in custody after he refused to obey a number of terms laid down by the court which are aimed at keeping women safe.

Trevor Byrne (36) did not agree to eight conditions attached to his release, including keeping a curfew between 8pm and 8am and not using an alias in the community.

Byrne has been serving an eight-year sentence for the attempted robbery of a woman at her Dublin home on September 15, 2009.

Judge Patricia Ryan at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court had suspended the final two years of the sentence, on condition he enter a bond and abide by strict terms.

Byrne has nine previous convictions including one where he received a 15-year sentence for raping an 18-year-old woman.

Byrne was due to get out of prison this week, but Judge Ryan said she was unable to suspend his sentence as he was not willing to enter the bond.

The attempted robbery in 2009 took place 14 hours after Byrne had been released from prison and while he was under garda surveillance.

Other conditions of release included refraining from illegal drugs, attending any treatment recommended for his offending behaviour and availing of accommodation provided rather than making himself homeless.

Byrne gave two fingers to the probation officer as he was taken back into the custody area at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court. Probation officer David Kenny told the court that it was his responsibility to ensure that Byrne was not a risk to the community, and that to date, Byrne had not engaged with the Probation Services.

Byrne, with a former address at O'Devaney Gardens, pleaded guilty to the attempted robbery of Noemie Krey, at Leo Street, Dublin 7, on September 15, 2009.

He also pleaded guilty to two counts of burglary at the same address on the same date.

In 2011, Judge Ryan imposed an eight-year sentence suspending the final two years before remanding him in custody. She said credit was to be given for time spent in custody and backdated it to September 15, 2009.

Judge Ryan said Byrne could remain in custody until he decided to enter the bond.

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News